Tuesday 26 May 2020

Since the quarantine started way back in the middle of March I have left the house about five times. My agorophobia has come back and my hand washing and fear of germs. If I had the money I would quite happily become a recluse. It is a regret that the government didn't furlough me as I would have been great at staying at home doing feck all. Just pass me that opium pipe!! Today I went out to meet a friend in a cafe and well, what can I say? First H prevented me from going out dressed along the lines of Howard Hughes with tissue boxes on my feet and other peculiar sartorial splendor. In the end I settled on some plastic gloves I knicked from the local supermarket and clothes I am willing to burn on return. What should have been a pleasant experience instead left me frazzled and fearful something undesirable would happen. In the space of an hour I managed to get accosted by a madman for money I no longer carry and then I got caught up in a demonstration of sorts in the main square led by the people who welcome refugees who were then interrupted by the lamest of far right protestors. There were about fifteen of them, the far right, and they looked like they were having a great time banging saucepans furiously. You know, talentless, no sense of rhythm but will do anything to get noticed. Trying to drown put any decent conversation the rest of us were having. Jealous probably. Wrapped in flags if you please. I suppose in case they forgot what nationality they were. Judging on their unhealthy vibe and that general ugliness the far right can never shake off, I doubt they would have been able to take anyone on if a fight or beauty contest broke out. There we were, the foreigners, the ones they think shouldn't be here. Romanians, Moroccans, Latin Americans, Chinese and me, all looking on bemused. Remember not that long ago they were telling us we would all come out of this lockdown as better people? Well it didn't take that long did it? Nothing has changed people, nothing has changed!! 

No comments: