Saturday 16 June 2018

I forgot to say that I went back to the police station and on my way I armed myself with my best persuasive expletives just in case. When I got there policia told me my name wasn't on the appointment list. I could see it was but it was spelt with a hyphen so I told her that was the other ANN-MARIE, the one who inhabits higher spheres and realms and has the potential to be a godhead if she would only get her act together and the ANNMARIE in front of her was the lazy, earthy, sweary, anarchic one that has a tendency to channel the spirit of her ancestors scrappy ways and philosophise and kick off at the same time. She gave me a scorching look that would explain why the wheels of officialdom are constantly welded, referred to me as 'your worship', and gave me a form to fill in while she filled in my details on the computer with her cloven hooves. After more comings and goings and other things lacking in sense or meaning there was a complete change of atmosphere and character as she presented me with my official papers, the culmination of almost two years and 600 euros. There was a round of applause from the other immigrants and I left with Voltaire ringing in my head. 'All is for the best in the best of possible worlds'. The End.

No comments: