Wednesday 6 June 2018

It was a great relief to be no longer addicted to Netflix. Mr van de Ven and I have watched the lot. It didn't last long. Having seen everything worth seeing we have turned our attention to the stuff we missed the first time round. We are now on the third series of In the Line of Duty the police crime drama. Talking about how corrupt the police force is or can be and how some of the characters in the series make me sick, Mr van de Ven added, 'that's why that type join the police, because they can't make friends, just like magicians'. (I'm not sure what he meant by the last bit but will pursue it later...) I set about thinking how cut off, lonely and shunned the police must often feel and was reminded of how my late father began a conversation with me circa 1994 about the police force which managed to obliterate the Police Commissioner at the time, in a matter of seconds. 'I don't know what you make of that Sir Paul Condon', he started. 'He seems like an amicable bloke. Well actually he seems like a bit of a prick. Look, to be perfectly frank I can't stand the bastard.

No comments: