Sunday 27 October 2019

I was in a shop and the sign outside fell over. The shop keeper stopped serving the boy in front of me and went outside to pick the sign up. Frutas y verduras, fruits and vegetables. The boy kept buying sweets, asking the owner what could he buy for eighty, forty centimes, until he had used up all his money. He went outside the shop to be with his friends and the owner said to me 'son malos', 'they are no good, bad boys'. I didn't know if it was true or if he was just saying it because they were gypsies. I dared not speak in case the owner detected an accent and told the next person that came in the shop something negative about me. I imagined that after me a succession of undesirables would come in spend their money and wind him up for the rest of the day. 

No comments: