Sunday 17 February 2019

What to keep and what to throw away? Will my belongings, my ramblings my ideas and thoughts one day end up in a charity shop, a flea market or a bonfire. Who cares? In the meantime they take over the flat, pieces of paper, notebooks, post it notes full of energy, creativity, not knowing where they are supposed to go or end up. Nothing is permanent. Written on the back of a little brochure I picked up at the Bosch exhibition at the Prado Museum in Madrid, April 2016......'Saint Wilgefortis, the bearded virgin venerated in the Low Countries, exempla contraria, example to be avoided.' Why did I write that? Why did she seem so important to me at the time? Virgo Fortis, courageous woman. She sprouted a beard so as to be unattractive to the man she didn't want to marry. 

No comments: