Wednesday 10 October 2018

BRAZIL, WHERE HEARTS WERE ENTERTAINING JUNE

Last night I dreamt I tried to become a Brazilian citizen. The Brazilians asked me why I wanted to become Brazilian and I told them with no small amount of self importance that their country needed me. They looked at one another, shrugged and said it seemed reasonable enough but I would have to navigate my way around the building we were in and if I could go to the top and find my way back again they would give me a passport. I started going around lots of rooms and corridors that looked like United Nation meetings, busy restaurants, betting offices, court rooms, classrooms, and wondered if I was watching my life flash before me. I got to the top and walked into a burst of sunlight and was greeted by a handsome Brazilian man who said that I had passed half the test but had to find my way back. He said he would walk part of the way if I wanted but then said I would have to kiss him. It was a horrible dry kiss, unemotional but he didn't feel the same. He told me that he had fallen in love with me and that this was it, we had to get married. All I kept thinking was what the hell had I done now and that I had to get back to my husband who I suddenly remembered was waiting outside somewhere. I started to run away, thinking what a fraud I was, that I wasn't Brazilian or a femme fatale. I met some American tourists and asked them if they knew where I could find my husband. They took out some enormous maps and directed me to walk through a forest which I did and came out the other side into Golders Green bus station where he was waiting for me with open arms. I guess the moral of this dream/story is not to get any more ridiculous, highfalutin ideas.

No comments: