Tuesday 10 November 2009

TOUCHE PART ONE THE HARD VERSION

For all those friends who still think the Spanish are sophisticated drinkers who drink wine with meals and never on an empty stomach I am pleased to tell them again but this time with proof that our Latin cousins have beaten The Brits at their own game and now drink a great quantity and as fast as possible in a style that is referred to as 'Anglo Saxon'. Proyecto Hombre sees 1,700 people every day turning up at their centre in Madrid in an attempt to cure them of more than a hangover. It seems The Spanish also consume more drugs than us nowadays but can you blame them when you see the state of their TV?

Talking of drugs, Piti is back and back on the drugs after Mercedes received a lambasting from Henderson on his mental state not getting any better on account of her dog crying and howling for hours. I met her in the street and she had a go at me for said lambasting and then, poor woman, she got one from me. Well she shouldn't have picked a fight with someone from 'outside' renowned for their stubborness. I will beat them at their own game. She is lucky there is no RSPCA that I know of leaving the poor creature for hours on end. The situation will hopefully be resolved or an 'idea cojonante' might be needed.

It's not as if nothing happens here. Why I even went to see Paul Preston in concert a few weeks back. The learned sage from the LSE who is an expert on all things Franco etc. I overheard people say he spoke with a Catalan accent but I distinctly heard a Manchester or maybe it was Yorkshire twang. He didn't teach me anything and I felt a bit miffed that the locals had laid their coats and duvets on every available surface to stop others from sitting down. I trawled the the stalls for a pew and met with that typical Aragonese intransigence and ended up siding with a bloke who said 'only in Spain' or words to that effect. We ended up sitting outside the auditorium where a big screen had been placed and staff began putting out chairs and the same thing happened. More coats and more snorts of disgust. One woman put a piece of paper down and told everyone that the chair was 'occupied' till someone else tore it up. I was hoping a fight would break out but I had to wait till Mr Preston had gone down in my estimation for the usual repressed for sixty year's outburst from an elderly man who had obviously suffered at the hands of someone. My sympathies have now been put on hold as the longer I am here the less I feel obliged to care anymore. I will leave that to the likes of Paul Preston who seemed to not understand anything about the Aragonese spirit. He may be an expert on Franco but he knows nothing about the locals here.

4 comments:

Eamon said...

Every summer here in La Coruña the town hall puts on an international festival of folk music from around the world. And every year it is the same story with coats and bags on the chairs. Usually there is some little verbal comment and people walk away. Well I was pleased one evening when a couple challenged a lady who was holding two seats for her friends. Well it almost came to blows and in the end the people who wanted the chairs picked them up and ran off with them much to the delight of the audience.

ANA said...

My God, I always think these things only occur here as The Aragonese are famed for their stubborness and refusal to budge!! Your reply has inspired me. I think more people need to be challenged. I will put up a fight next time just to see what happens. Who knows what chaos will ensue!
Many thanks for reading my blog. I might write more if I think people will read it.........

Eamon said...

Here is another instant of helping yourself to something that is not yours. At the same festival one year when it was held in the city square there was the same chair saving game. Around the square there are several bars and restaurants and it so happens they have exactly the same white coloured plastic chairs. People started taking chairs from the tables and puting them near the stage where they could sit and enjoy the concert. About five minutes later there were about ten waiters grabbing chairs from people and dragging them back to the bars and restaurants. It was quite a show I can tell you but worth every penny. Of course what I should also mention is that no one keeps quiet at these events and it is a regular place to meet up with long lost friends and have a chat and if you are a non-smoker you have to test which direction the wind is and get a seat at the end of the row so you can breathe. I am so used to it now that I don't get myself upset. I used to make videos of these events but as the background noise is louder than the music I have given that up.

Eamon said...

oops that should read "putting". I'll write that out ten times so I don't forget.